Sunday, January 30, 2011

Please welcome Jess Anatasi

Jess Anatasi is from Australia and my next guest as part of the All Romantic Suspense Authors Blog Tour. She writes a sensational mix of paranormal/science fiction romance, as well as romantic suspense novels. This author covers them all.


Jess, with the countless number of interview questions out there, let’s try something different. Tell us about yourself. How about something that hasn’t been previously stated? Maybe a phobia or pet peeve.

I don't know if I'd call it a full on phobia, but I don't like flying. I've only ever taken a couple of domestic flights here in Australia, so have never done the overseas thing. Just going to the airport makes me so nervous I feel sick, even if I'm just t

here picking people up. Don't ask me how I managed to actually get myself on a plane the couple of times I have flown! While I like to think that one day I'll make the trip to the US, I'm not sure how I'd handle flying that many hours to get there.

What genre do you write and what genre would you love to try?

At the moment I'm published in sci-fi romance and romantic suspense, though I wish I could write historical. I've had a go at it, but just don't think I can pull off a historical 'voice'. My characters always sound too modern when they talk.

Tell us about what you've had published.

My romantic suspense is a stand-alone, which has been getting some great reviews at places like Manic Readers and The Romance Studio. Yes, I was surprised! You see, I thought since there are already so many romantic suspense on the market, and more coming out all the time, what's one more? But it has been picked up for review and is doing quite nicely (so far). My other books, I call my Sanctuary series, are sci-fi romance with a bit of paranormal. It's based on an on-going four hundred year war between angels and demons, set 500 years in the future when humans have colonized other galaxies, but are on the verge of being wiped out.

Any works in progress?

Always! At the moment, I'm working on another romantic suspense and then I'll be writing the third book in the Sanctuary series.

What's your inspiration?

Honestly? It could be anything that sets me off. A TV show, a movie, a picture in a magazine, a snatch of conversation I overhear in the grocery store, or often a dream I wake up from in the morning.

What drives you as a writer?

I actually don't know. I just have this need to write. I've always had it, but obviously when I was younger I didn't really know what to do with it. I always said that no matter how long it took me to get published, there was no point giving up. Even if I tried to giver up, even if I wanted to stop, I knew I couldn't. Its just something I have to do.

How long have you been writing?

I've always been writing in some form or another. As a teenager, I kept journals, wrote poetry and short stories. The first novel I ever wrote was a year after I left high school

, so its been nine years now since I first decided I wanted to write books.

Do you have a dream man/cop/detective? Does he appear in your writing and if so, what does he look like?

I don't have any one in particular. Sometimes I might idolize a certain type of hero and want to write him, but all my characters have minds of their own and never quite turn out how I think they will.

Please tell

us what you are most passionate about outside of writing.

My family. If I'm not writing, I'm trying to make sure I spend plenty of time with them.

What makes you laugh? Cry?

Dumb movies make me laugh. Dude, Where's My Car if one of my favorite movies! As for crying, the usual tear-jerker movies always set me off (like Brokeback Mountain. I blubbered in the end of that) so I tend to avoid them!

What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?

Watch DVDs, knit or crochet, play the Wii, do yoga… I have a lot of different things I like to do, just depends on my mood.

Sinful indulgence?

Chocolate! It's probably not really that sinful, but I have a bit of an addiction.

Can you describe the time you realized you were indeed a "real" writer?

I think after I managed to write an actual, whole, 95,500 word book I knew I was on to something.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions. The floor is yours. Please tell us where to find your work, your website, your blog, book trailer, and anything else you care to share.

Web: www.jessanastasi.com

Blog: http://jessanastasi.blogspot.com/

FB: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jess-Anastasi/129441077081452

Twitter: @JessAnastasi

Noble Romance Publishing: http://www.nobleromance.com/BrowseListing.aspx?author=130

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jess+anastasi.com

Blurb:

FBI Special Agent Ella Waverly is wrapping up one last assignment before heading off on her first holiday in five years. But thoughts of flip-flops and cocktails are the last thing on her mind when she meets the new team leader, Special Agent Bryce Lain, and finds out her long-planned-for holiday is being scuttled for an undercover assignment.

Agent Lain is gorgeous, the kind of gorgeous that guarantees he's an arrogant jerk. The news that he'll be her partner in the dangerous mission is almost enough to make her head explode. Before the day is out, Ella finds herself at Little Palm Island Resort in Florida, masquerading as a contestant on the latest reality TV show—Lord Bachelor. The bachelor in question, a disgraced British peer, is suspected of raping and murdering several women back in
London.

Though Ella knows it safer where her heart's concerned to deny it, the longer she's stuck with Bryce, the more she sees there could be a man worth loving beneath the impossibly good-looking exterior.

As humidity frizzes her hair beyond the help of any type of de-frizzing, smoothing, glossing product, Ella tries to wrangle working against nineteen husband-hungry bimbos, one suspected serial killer, and one seriously hot agent who's trying everything he can to get under her skin.









5 comments:

Elaina Lee said...

Jess, I'm in the same boat as you with historical's. I keep getting slapped on the hand for my characters sounding too modern. Sigh... I love history and want so badly to write a historical! I don't make them say "Dude" doesn't that count?!

Great interview, ladies. Really fun!

Cassie Exline said...

Thanks for stopping by, Elaina. I love history too. I've love to write a historical time travel with romance and suspense.

Ursula Grey said...

Your book sounds intriguing, Jess ~ great interview, btw:-). Don't really care too much for flying either, but somehow manage to overcome my reluctance if there's a trip to Paris involved;-)...

Elaina & Cassie ~ I love the historical genre too. Would love to try writing a time travel one day...love that genre as well - a combination of the best of both genres;-)

Cassie Exline said...

Ursula, thanks for stopping by. Time travel fascinates me.

Jess Anastasi said...

Thanks for having me, Cassie, and thanks for dropping by Elaina!
I've given up on trying to write historicals. I'm thinking about turning my historical plots into sci-fi stories, LOL!
Ursula, thanks, I'm glad you like the sound of my book!
And maybe I could overcome my reluctance to fly if I could afford to go in first class.