Sunday, February 6, 2011

Welcome Marie-Nicole Ryan


Please welcome my next guest, Marie-Nicole Ryan, as part of the All Romantic Suspense Authors Blog Tour. Read about her phobia, pet peeve, all the books she's written, and find out the absolutely beautiful name of her dog.



With the countless number of interview questions out there, let’s try something different, Megan-Nicole. Tell us about yourself. How about something that hasn’t been previously stated? Maybe a phobia or pet peeve.

Okay, here goes. I used to write La Femme Nikita fan fiction, based on the USA cable network series, not the current one. Phobia: flying—never have, never will. Pet Peeve—soap opera actors dialogue, especially something like, “Susan gave the book to Bob and I.” I cringe every time I hear it, and since I watch three soaps a day, I hear it a lot.

What genre do you write and what genre would you love to try?

Mostly I write contemporary romantic suspense, but I have one erotic western historical, the first of a series of three…or four. I would love to write a pure mystery/suspense series.

Tell us about what you've had published

Seven romantic suspense novels and one erotic historical western. No, that’s not right six RSs and one mystery/suspense, plus the western.

Any works in progress?

Would you believe three? Actually one is stalled because it’s a sequel, and for certain reasons, there’s no point in completing it at this time. The one I’m actively working on is a contemporary romantic suspense set in the Finger Lakes regions of Upstate NY. I’ve visited the Finger Lakes several times, and I love the area. The third is the opening of the second erotic historical western, but I won’t really work on it until I finish the RS and have it in the submission pipeline.

What's your inspiration?

Damned if I know. Usually either a situation or a character pops into my head and it makes me think, “What if…?” Chance remarks a person might make will give me an idea as well as news items.

What drives you as a writer?

Nothing much right now. Sad but true. Originally it was the characters who wouldn’t leave me alone. I dreamt about them. I heard their voices.

How long have you been writing?

My first attempt at writing a novel was back in the early eighties when I wrote about a hundred pages of a historical romance. Typing was difficult, but when PCs came around and I purchased my first one in 1996, I started writing fan fiction soon after. I started my first completed novel in 1997. It took me at least eighteen months to complete the 142K word behemoth, but finish it I did. After cutting 14k words from it and cleaning it up, I started shopping it around. It was my second book to sell in 2003.

Do you have a dream man/cop/detective? Does he appear in your writing and if so, what does he look like?

I certainly do. Ninety-five percent of the time, he’s tall, dark and handsome. He usually has a lot of baggage and grew up rough.

Please tell us what you are most passionate about outside of writing.

Currently that would be Cassie, my Shetland Sheepdog. I love antiquing and interior design.

What makes you laugh? Cry?

My Sheltie makes me laugh several times a day, especially when she’s trying to talk to me. Cry? I seldom cry, but if I do it’s usually if I’m watching a sad movie or TV show.

What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?

That would be watching one of the many TV shows I love or going out with any of my gal pals.

Sinful indulgence?

Having two DVRs.

Can you describe the time you realized you were indeed a "real" writer?

When I started writing fan fiction and received so many positive comments from readers. Bear in mind when you write fan fiction, you’re sort of preaching to the choir. However, I met a published author in the process, and she encouraged me to keep writing and to join RWA®.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions. The floor is yours. Please tell us where to find your work, your website, your blog, book trailer, and anything else you care to share.

Thank you so much for having me, Cassie, and I’m looking forward to your interview on my blog as well.

Web site: http://marienicoleryan.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/marienicoleryan.author

Blog: http://marienicoleryan.blogspot.com

Book Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlyQ3U0yxGs



Blurb

Nashville sizzles in the summer. No wonder Tess and Scott combust.

Nashville Homicide Detective Tess O’Malley has a lot to prove. She comes from a long line of police officers, including her father and older brothers. First she and her partner are taken off a high profile case and sidelined with a cold case instead. After reviewing the files, she’s certain her cold case is connected to the current one, and she sets out to prove it. Too bad it means locking horns with a handsome PI who could win her heart and derail her career.

Scott Holt is all business when it comes to running his family’s PI firm. When the lovely Detective O’Malley comes to question him about his possible involvement in her cold case, he has everything but business on his mind. Like locking lips with the fiery redhead.

EXCERPT: ©2010, Marie-Nicole Ryan

All rights reserved, The Wild Rose Press

Thankful for the oven timer giving him a brief reprieve, Scott took a deep breath. Tess raced around the bar to the kitchen, then bent over and opened the oven. Her flirty, short summer dress hiked up and gave him a view of slender thighs and a little bit of lace that didn’t begin to cover the smooth, rounded cheeks of her ass.

8 comments:

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Many thanks to Cassie (I love that name)for taking time to interview me.

Cassie Exline said...

Love having you as a guest. Not only is your dog name an excellent choice, but I love that you have two DVR's and that answer to the inspiration question, now that made me laugh out loud.

Elaina Lee said...

I love the fact that you have two DVR's too! I want to get those new ones, where you can record in one room and then watch whatever you recorded in any room that has a receiver. Ah, someday. *grin* Great interview, ladies!

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

I have a terrible tendency to tell the truth in these interviews. Like most romantic suspense authors, out inspirations come from just about everywhere. Actually the inspiration for LOVE ME IF YOU CAN came from watching Extreme Home Makeover about a blended family of siblings who had to band together when their parents died. The older ones took care of the younger ones. That started a "what if..."

Cassie Exline said...

Elaina, as soon as I read about her two DVR's instant jealousy. lol

Marie-Nicole, my inspiration for Dragon's Pearl came from my son wanting me to write about dragons and watching an episode of Murder She, Wrote.

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Cool!

Jerri said...

Wonderful interview, Marie-Nicole and Cassie!

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks, Jerri.