Monday, February 21, 2011

Welcome Mindy MacKay


Please put your hands together and let's do a dance to welcome my next guest on the All Romantic Suspense Authors Blog Tour -- Mindy MacKay Author of high-octane fiction and romantic suspense

Don't know about you, but she's got my interest.


With the countless number of interview questions out there, let’s try something different. Tell us about yourself. How about something that hasn’t been previously stated? Maybe a phobia or pet peeve.

Howdy y'all! I'm Mindy, and I'm a fan of pop-punk, fast-paced novels, action movies, zombie survival, and coffee. I don't know about phobias--I'm pretty fearless, if I do say so myself--but it irks me to no end when people say the word "whenever" when they really mean "when". Other little solecisms get me too, but not nearly as much as the when/whenever one.

What genre do you write and what genre would you love to try?

I've written in the science fiction, horror, romantic suspense, tragedy, and YA dystopian genres. I'd really love to try a vampire or captive scenario, if only to see what kind of spin I can put on a frequently done idea.

Tell us about what you've had published.

Currently, I've got half a series out--the Puppetmasters series, available through Rogue Phoenix Press. It's a scifi-realism/dystopian take on mutants and revolution and Canada. I guess the best descriptor is "Canadapunk" because it's speculative fiction with a backdrop of the Canadian landscape, as opposed to, say, the industrial revolution or the advent of diesel technology. I've also got a single-title romantic mystery out called Fallen from Disgrace, available through Noble Romance. Think Cain and Abel meets Crime and Punishment meets the 120 Days of Sodom and that's basically what this book is about.

Any works in progress?

Right now I'm just finishing up a novella, tentatively titled Godspeed, that chronicles the love-affair of a mentally disturbed Communist dictator and a one-legged runaway former figure skater from another country. It sounds a lot less ridiculous in the outline and draft.

What's your inspiration?

Inspiration comes from many forms. Right now, I'm working with inspiration from a few conversations I had with friends over lunch, the Spanish poetry of Vanguardism poet Frederico Garcia Lorca, a mix tape one of my good friends made me, my childhood, and my Macroeconomics textbook.

How long have you been writing?

I've been writing poetry since the second grade because elementary schools have this way of sweetly coercing students to write poetry in order to gain school boasting rights in statewide contests, but I've only been seriously writing novels for about four or five years, and I've been pubbed since the summer of 2010.

Do you have a dream man/cop/detective? Does he appear in your writing and if so, what does he look like?

Oddly enough, I don't have a specific fantasy male that I recurrently use in different incarnations, but I do have a "dream girl" of sorts. Not as a romantic interest; just a literary manifestation of my ideology and metaphorical "muse". Her hair and eye color vary with each retelling, but she's always lithe and wide-eyed, enigmatic, tough-as-nails but deceptively cute, and harbors a lot of contra-societal fire. If she's the detective, she's not afraid to break protocol to achieve her ends. If she's the criminal, she's elusive, schismatic, and half-justified in her motives.

Please tell us what you are most passionate about outside of writing.

The human condition. I find questions about humanity, psychology, and society just fascinating.

What makes you laugh? Cry?

Laugh: Dane Cook, Weird Al, peopleatwalmart.com, most things that pander to the base human sensibility of humor, some of the more intelligent satires like Boyle's Carnal Knowledge or Swift's A Modest Proposal, people who understand my references to high-brow required reading from 10th grade, people who don't understand my references to high-brow required reading from 10th grade.

Cry: Gee, that's a toughie. I don't think I've actually full-out cried since I reread the ending of Elie Wiesel's Night.

What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?

Aside from throwing wild parties with my friends and/or watching Venture Bros with them, I entertain myself playing the piano, usually just playing by ear and arranging piano covers of Green Day songs or the theme songs from video games.

Sinful indulgence?

Shark Week, Dane Cook, and guro art.

Can you describe the time you realized you were indeed a "real" writer?

Funny thing about that, actually. I'm a little reluctant to call myself a "real" writer. It's my favorite hobby by far and a great way to stay entertained, but in all reality, my heart beats for biology. I'm going into biology with the end goal of becoming a surgeon. Yes, I write and I love it, but I've always pictured my career being a little more…hands-on. And inside. And all around. I like to think of the human body as my lawfully wedded spouse and the imagination as my after-hours, closed-door lover.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions. The floor is yours. Please tell us where to find your work, your website, your blog, book trailer, and anything else you care to share.

Thanks so much for having me, Cassie! My body of work can be found at www.mindy mackay.com and my Amazon storefront, http://www.amazon.com/Mindy-MacKay/e/B003OTMIKE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1; my blog is located at theylikemehere.blogspot.com. If anyone's interested, here's a book trailer for my November release, Fallen from Disgrace. Also, feel free to add me on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4117450.Mindy_MacKay

2 comments:

Willsin Rowe said...

Yup. Definitely got my attention, too. It's hard not to dig on a confident woman who loves words.

Goodreads, you say...hmm...

Cassie Exline said...

So true, so true. I totally agree. Thanks for stopping by, Willsin.