Monday, April 11, 2011

Welcome Leanne Dyck


Please help me welcome, Leanne Dyck.

Leanne, how about something that hasn’t been previously stated? Maybe a phobia or pet peeve.

Me? I don’t have any, but…

My muse’s pet peeve is my writing sped. She swears she could generate a lot more brilliant ideas if I were a faster scribe. I’m trying to learn to work with her instead of against, by questioning less and trusting more.

I know what you mean, my muse thinks she rules me and is my boss. Well, she's not. Ooops. Excuse me, I have to go write for a little bit, "Be nice to muse....be nice to muse...be nice to muse..." *sniff* Enough of that, what genre do you write and what genre would you love to try?

For me, writing is like walking into a candy store—I want to try it all. I’ve written fiction (most genres), non-fiction, speculative non-fiction and poetry.

Tell us about what you've had published.

My most recent book is The Sweater Curse—released by Decadent Publishing.

Blurb:

Aspiring knitwear designer Gwen Bjarnson is stuck in Purgatory. To escape, she must re-examine her life, journey through her past and right a wrong. But which wrong?

Young and in love, she works to establish her career, except fate has different plans. One rash act and she loses everything. Never resting, always seeking, and yearning for what she can no longer have, Gwen faces the truth: if she remains, others are destined to die. How will she solve the mystery before it is too late?

Excerpt:

This isn’t Heaven. It isn’t Hell. And I’m not alive.

Picture this: a bus stop, tons of people packed into the same small space all waiting to continue their journey. Many buses stop here. Some passengers get off, others get on. Young children with sickly white complexions huddle together in the shelter. Teenagers with rope burns around their necks get off the bus. Old men with bullet holes climb on.

Throughout this confusion, the only constant is me. I remain alone.

Why?

I don’t know, but I must find the reason. I must examine my life to discover the momentary lapse. The wrong I’ve committed. The task I’ve neglected. It’s my only means of escape.

Reviews

‘Stitch by colorful stitch, Leanne Dyck knits a tale of intrigue with The Sweater Curse.’

–Laurie Buchanan

‘Leanne Dyck has crafted a tale as exotic and existential as Danish author Isak Dinesen’s…This book defies genre definitions as it finds its unique place on the fiction shelves. Here’s hoping Leanne Dyck returns many times to the intriguing roots of her family’s past.’

-Mystery author Lou Allin

‘Go out and pick this one up, you’ll find yourself immersed as well.’

-Deborah Warner reviewer for By the Book

(read more http://sweatercured.blogspot.com/p/reviews.html)

Any works in progress?

Turning

Struggling with dyslexia and raised by overprotective parents, nineteen-year-old Lyndi longs for a boyfriend, an adventure, a life. Hoping to fulfill her dreams, she enlists in a youth group.

This story is loosely based on my experiences a Katimavik volunteer.

The Sweater Curse sequel

Why did Aster’s husband leave her? Though she ages by day, month and year, the question remains.

To her, nothing else matters. Will she be able to face the truth and learn to live on without him or will she continue in her malingering suicide?

What's your inspiration or drives you as a writer?

My muse—when she plays her harp I dance.

How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing since I was a teenager—for approximately thirty-six years.

Do you have a dream man/cop/detective? Does he appear in your writing and if so, what does he look like?

Jaron Cardew, the hero of The Sweater Curse, is my dream guy. For me, appearance is less important than characteristics. Jaron is positive, self-confident, caring, devoted and responsible.

Please tell us what you are most passionate about outside of writing.

I’m passionate about my family, my spirituality, my community (where I live and who I align myself with), my country and my world.

What makes you laugh? Cry?

Laugh: stand-up comedians

Cry: memories

Sinful indulgence?

Reality TV

Me too! I love Survivor! Can you describe the time you realized you were indeed a "real" writer?

Shortly after I published my cozy mystery, a man stopped me. “I’m not a reader. I don’t like books,” he said. “I glanced at your book, flipped through it, sat down started reading and didn’t stop until the last page.”

That’s when I knew I was a “real” writer.

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing that, Leanne

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions. The floor is yours. Please tell us where to find your work, your website, your blog, book trailer, and anything else you care to share.

You’re most welcome. It was a pleasure visiting with you here.

Buy links:

Decadent Publishing http://www.decadentpublishing.com/product_info.php?products_id=203&osCsid=ep6jlbnir3bacfp9floeovjqt7

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sweater-Curse-ebook/dp/B004IPPJQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AZC9TZ4UC9CFC&s=merchant-items&qid=1295645546&sr=1-1

Smashwords

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/36891

Author Links:

Website: www.oknitting.com

Blog: http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com

Each Wednesday on this blog I offer a Podcast reading from The Sweater Curse.

Author bio

Short stories, flash fiction and blogging kindled Leanne Dyck’s writing flame. The fire began to roar when her writing appeared in knitting and business magazines. Sparks flew high when her writing appeared in Island Writer literary journal and Kaleidoscope. Firefighters were alerted when, in June 2009, she self-published Maynely A Mystery. Now that Decadent Publishing has published The Sweater Curse, the fire refuses to be contained.

10 comments:

Elaina Lee said...

Great interview, ladies! That must have been wonderful to hear, Leanne, the man telling you how amazing your book was. Congratulations!

The Sweater Curse said...

Thank you so much for this opportunity, Cassie.
Yes, Elaina, it was--and so unexpected. I was just walking to the post office. Well, I rode home on a cloud. : )
Authors are nothing without readers.

Savannah Chase said...

Cassie thank you for the introduction to another new author. It is always nice to find someone new. Leanne great interview...

Cassie Exline said...

Thanks for stopping by, Elaina. That was an awesome experience for Leanne.

Cassie Exline said...

It's a pleasure to have you Leanne. I would have rode home on a cloud too.

Cassie Exline said...

Thanks for stopping by Savannah. This blog tour has been a great experience. I've met a lot of new authors.

Maureen said...

Leanne - Yeah, that first rush of knowing "Someone likes me! Really, really likes me!" Those Sally Fields moments are priceless!

Cassie Exline said...

Thanks for stopping by, Maureen.

kathleen said...

Congrats on the great reviews for The Sweater Curse, Leanne. Your works in progess sound wonderful, too. All the best!

Cassie Exline said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kathleen. Don't you just like the name The Sweater Curse?